Saturday, February 20, 2016

Twelve Years a Slave


Title: Twelve Years a Slave
Author: Solomon Northup
Genre: Non-fiction, Biography

Oh. My. Goodness. I read this on the heels of watching Amazing Grace (completely unplanned). I truly don't know how anyone would have read this in the 1850s and still thought slavery was an acceptable thing. Mr. Northup wrote this beautifully: he includes the joys of his life despite the wicked cruelty surrounding him in the Louisiana antebellum period. I sobbed during several chapters, hurting for him, wishing I could step into the book and cart him away to his family in New York. Definitely moving, powerful, and eye-opening. 

I am so thankful slavery is no longer permissible here in the States and look forward to a day when there is no longer any slavery anywhere. Read this slowly, with purpose and compassion. Learn the horrors and work to prevent them!

No comments:

Post a Comment