Monday, June 29, 2009

"Fighter" Got Me Through Sewing Class

Okay, so I spent every Thursday in June stressing through a sewing class. I thought I'd signed up so I could learn how to sew. Turns out God made me do it to teach me some patience. What a sense of humor He's got. My instructor, an 80 y/o lady who's been sewing since she was 10, wasn't exactly the best adult instructor. Her preferred method was the "figure it out yourself" approach. When asked questions, she made me feel like a complete imbecile. How could I possibly be unaware of what "easing it in" meant. Uhhh...do you really want me to tell you what I thought easing it in meant? No. Turns out it just means to squish material together gently so you can cover your bad job of cutting the pattern, but you have to do it in a way so the material doesn't look squished. Go figure. Why wouldn't I have known what that meant? Honestly. My instructor even told me my ironing capabilities were lacking. Hello? I went to a military school? I was in the military for a few years...I know how to iron. I can take creases out and put them in. I rarely iron my "regular" clothes, but if I have to do it, I do it well! Hmph. I just about walked out of the class on that one.

So...you can imagine my surprise when I actually learned and finished a dress. I was even more surprised when it fit and didn't look completely junky. Even better, I already started a new project and have all my pieces cut out. I'm so impressed by my own motivation. I think it hails back to a former boss who liked to nit pick on all the things I did wrong...I just listened to Christina Aguilera's "Fighter" over and over and over again. Yes, I like Christina. She has questionable morals in her songs, but the woman can sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment