Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Confessions of a Secular Jesus Follower: Finding Answers in Jesus for Those Who Don't Believe



Title: Confessions of a Secular Jesus Follower: Finding Answers in Jesus for Those Who Don't Believe
Author: Tom Krattenmaker
Genre: Non-fiction, Agnostic, Christian, Religion


This book was exactly what I hoped it would be. Confessions of a Secular Jesus Follower: Finding Answers in Jesus for Those Who Don't Believe, by Tom Krattenmaker, is a beautiful explanation of who Jesus the Man is, what He (still) stands for, and how we can incorporate His teachings into our lives, nation, and world...without needing to believe in His divinity. I'm a Christian, and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read this. I learned a lot about several of Jesus' most famous teachings. 

I read about a chapter per week (exceedingly slowly for me), taking time to both absorb and tear into the information. I discussed what I learned with my early-morning walking partner, who is also a Christian. We both really appreciated looking at our beliefs from a non-Christian perspective. Krattenmaker helped us realize there's so much more to what we believe, and we are both moved to positive action in our community. Christianity is, in the end, a set of beliefs, and I believe we honor Jesus most when we model our lives on His, sharing love, showing mercy, acting justly.  Jesus is a man, and as leaders go, He is the best, and I'm thankful for His love and mercy towards me.

I've shared what I've learned with others, and I'm doing my best to keep my eyes more open to the world around me. Krattenmaker is absolutely right: There's no need to believe in Jesus as a Savior in order to emulate His good works. Becoming more Jesus-like (loving your enemy, serving the marginalized, calling out the privileged/corrupt) is what more of us need to do, particularly in today's topsy-turvy world. Krattenmaker's book is making me dig deeper into the Bible passages I thought I knew so well-I love that there's always something new to learn. Confessions definitely is leading me to a closer relationship with Jesus, and I am thankful for Krattenmaker for helping open my eyes.

This book was so good, I'm having trouble deciding what to pass it along to. I'm guessing my pastor will get the first borrow-he loves reading even more than I do, and this book is right up his alley. :)

Blessings to you, friends. Happy reading!

**In exchange for a post, I received this book from Blogging for Books for review**

3 comments: