Friday, June 3, 2011

New Home, New Outlook

In my two years of me being out of the military, our family has lived in two houses. This past week and a half found us moving into our third one. For some reason, I decided today was the perfect day to give it its first scrub down.

Typically, cleaning days are grumpy days for me. I don't like cleaning. At all. My mother has this superpower that inspires dust to literally run away from her. I'm more like Pig-Pen in that I attract the stuff. Bleh. So I was rather surprised when I found myself enjoying cleaning this house. I mean, I'm the mother who never went through the nesting phase during pregnancy, so it was truly shocking. At any rate, it was nice.

That being said, I must give a shout out to Sally Hansen right now. I'm wearing the Salon Effects nail polish strips in "Fly With Me" and I haven't chipped my "manicure" at all despite scrubbing, scratching up gunky stuff from the floor, washing the dishes, or doing any other cleaning thing. I was very pleased, especially since the manicure in a box only cost about $7 (with coupon!). My salon manicure of $25 got ruined just three days into our move. Grrr.

Back to the house thing. I really love this house. This is a "true" house with a (small) fenced in backyard, detached garage, and (gasp!) utility room. Even though there's a little too much space in here, I like having all the openness. The kids are living it up. After two townhouses in which you could reach the long end of the house in twelve four-year-old strides, this is a real treat for them. :)

I'm very happy to report there are no more boxes left to open downstairs. All the bedrooms are done except for the bunk bed. The guest room is really the only room to go, and it's going to be a bear. That's where all of my husband's gear, our photo albums, and miscellaneous office stuff we don't want downstairs will be stored. I hope there's enough room for the futon!

So, I'd like to thank my fellow taxpayers for supporting the military so well. I know this house is not mine; it is the American people's. I will endeavor to take very good care of it to prevent taxpayer money from being wasted on frivolity. I will enjoy it to the maximum of my abilities because I know it's a blessing to have a home provided. Thanks, everyone!

Challenge: Pretend someone else is paying for the house you're currently living in. Would you take better care of it or have the "don't be gentle, it's a rental" mentality? Why?

-Domestic Goddess out.

1 comment:

  1. so glad u finally got ur house! woohoo! feel free to clean mine when you come down in a few weeks! ~Joni

    ReplyDelete